Dairy and Egg Free Banana Muffins with Cream Cheese Icing
These Dairy and Egg Free Banana Muffins with Cream Cheese Icing are naturally free of egg, so don’t use a substitute (bananas make an awesome egg substitute themselves!!), and also happen to be fine for those on vegan diets 🙂 I put pecan nuts on top of mine, but they are fine without it too if you have nut allergies in the house. I haven’t specifically tried them with gluten free flour but I’m confident they would be fine, and I would use about 75% of the flour substituted with gluten free flour. For the icing, I have used the Sheese brains of cream cheese before which has a lovely taste..but it does tend to split a bit when mixed with the dairy free margarine. This recipe I used the new Angel Foods vegan cream cheese, and mixed it with a stick blender and it worked a treat!
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut yoghurt
- 1 tub vegan cream cheese (most of them are about 240g)
- 2-3 Tablespoons icing sugar, depending on how sweet you like it
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons dairy free margarine
- Whisk the bananas, oil and sugar together. Add the dry ingredients and coconut yoghurt and mix until just combined. Spoon in muffin cases until 3/4 full, top with chopped nuts if desired, then bake at 175 degrees Celsius until cooked through and golden brown (about 10-15 minutes). Cool before icing.
- For the icing, mix ingredients together with a spoon then blend until smooth (I used a stick blender). Pipe on top of the muffins and top with more nuts and sliced banana if you want to. I had a chocolate crumb made with flour, sugar, cocoa and dairy free margarine which I sprinkled on the top after baking until crispy.