Vegan chocolate cake: egg free and dairy free raspberry chocolate cake
This vegan chocolate cake recipe, which obviously is also dairy and egg free, is decades old..I have no idea where the recipe came from, but its been around since my Grandmother was little! It is a fabulous recipe as its really moist, but it’s also really easy to change it up a bit and make a bit fancy. So I’m going to show you how to do just that and make it birthday party or dinner party worthy 🙂
You are going to start by making the cake in the recipe in a reasonably large round cake tin, I use a spring form tin as it makes it so much easier to get out. If you don’t have one, just line the bottom and sides of a tin with greaseproof or baking paper. Take it out of the oven when it is JUST cooked..no more! It will be dry if it’s overcooked, but really moist if its cooked just right. Then let it cool completely. For this one, I used raspberries, but you could also soak it in a coffee syrup or add any other fruit 🙂
When it is cool, slice the rounded bit off the top so it will sit flat. Turn the cake upside down. Slice horizontally in half and put the top half to the side for the meantime. Make a syrup of 1 cup frozen raspberries, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water. Bring to the boil. Using a pastry brush or spoon, lay the syrup quite liberally all over the centre of the cake so it is completely covered and soaking up the syrup. Once it is soaked up, put a decent dollop of icing on top and spread over evenly with a spatula or knife. If you have enough syrup left, you can put another layer of syrup on the inside of the top layer (the layer that is going to be touching the icing in the middle), but it doesn’t matter too much. Place the top layer on, making sure what was the bottom of the cake is now on the top facing up. This will give you a smooth surface to ice. Spread any icing that oozes out all over the sides.
Place a generous amount of icing on the top and smooth all over. Then using a palette knife or bread and butter knife, spread a really thick layer of icing all around the sides. You will take some icing off as you are getting it really smooth, but you need to use a lot to start with to prevent dragging bits of the crumb into the icing.
Once you have a layer of icing over the entire vegan chocolate cake, dip your knife in boiling water and smooth over the whole cake. Decorate with shaved chocolate (I just use a vegetable peeler on the back of a slab of dairy free chocolate…I use Whittakers 72% dark chocolate) and raspberries. I hope you all love my version of this vegan chocolate cake and share it with your friends, I’m sure they’ll thank you for it!
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 6 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract (I use the one with the seeds in)
- 2 T vinegar: I prefer to use balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup oil: I use Rice Bran or Olive oil
- 2 cups water
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Make 3 little holes in the dry mix, in the first hole put the vanilla, in the second, the vinegar and in the third, the oil. Add the water and stir until the flour has been incorporated. Don't over mix, or it will be dry.
- Bake in an 8 inch (approx) round lined (with greaseproof paper) cake tin at 165 degrees Celsius until a skewer comes out clean, but only just...you don't want to over bake this at all. Mine took about 45 minutes. If you see the cake getting dark on the top, place foil or another tray over the top and turn the oven down.
- 300g dairy free margarine (I use Sunrise)
- 200g icing sugar
- 150g melted and slightly cooled dairy free chocolate (I use Whittakers)
- Place the margarine and icing sugar in a cake mixer (you can do this by hand if you are really keen!) and beat at med-high speed for 5 minutes until very fluffy. Add the melted chocolate all at once and resume beating immediately. It will set quickly so you need to act quickly. Beat for about 30 seconds, stop the machine, scrape down the sides then resume beating. When the chocolate is completely incorporated, it is ready to use.