Egg and Dairy Free Potato Salad
This Vegan Egg and Dairy Free Potato Salad is also soy, gluten and nut free but tastes amazing!
I’m pretty much in love with all things Aquafaba (chickpea brine for those new to this amazing egg substitute) at the moment and I’m having an awesome time playing around with all the different things I can make with it. One of things my eldest daughter loves and hates having to miss out on is mayonnaise so after hearing this goody can be made with aquafaba, I just had to give it a go. Well technically, I had a lightbulb moment the other day that I could make mayo and hollandaise type things with it, only to find out 2 days later somebody else had beaten me to the idea! I also happened to still have new potatoes (obviously not new anymore haha, but they started off that way!) in my fridge from our Summer harvest, so thought I’d see how it went in a potato salad. Pretty good is the answer! I actually can’t really tell the difference between this and mayo made from egg at all, and good news, my daughter just loves it. Miss 4 flatly refuses to try it so no idea about her!
- 1/2 tin chickpeas in brine
- 2 teaspoons tarragon vinegar (check this is gluten free if you need it to be)
- sea salt and pepper to season
- 1 teaspoon mustard (I used Dijon)
- approx 2 cups oil of choice (I used Rice Bran, but any will do)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, if desired
- 3 cups boiled potaotes, chopped roughly
- 1/2 cup mayo from above
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped baby gherkins
- 2 Tablespoons chopped capers
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 2 T chopped parsley
- 2 T chopped chives
- 2 T chopped spring onions
- Place the brine from the chickpeas (you can freeze the other half for use later) in a stainless steel bowl with the mustard, vinegar and seasoning. Whisk until well blended and very frothy. Start whisking in the oil very slowly (it should take 4-5 minutes to incorporate all of the oil). If it is still quite runny, add some more oil. Adjust the seasoning and add the sugar if using. If you have a stick blender, blend it for a further 2 minutes until thick and white. Place in a jar in the refrigerator. It will keep for at least a week.
- Mix all the ingredients together and season well. Decorate with fresh herbs.