Egg and Dairy Free Dumpling Soup
This Egg and Dairy Free Dumpling Soup is made from a chicken broth base with lots of fresh vegetables. For those who are gluten free, I’ve added a wheat free option which I made for my middle daughter who is allergic to wheat on top of lots of other foods. It’s also a really fun meal for the kids to help with..you might want to check the sealing of the dumplings though before cooking….you will thank me later! One of our favourite family meals is Dumplings, so I make lots and keep half for the next night. We will have them in a broth the first night then boiled and pan fried the next with rice and steamed veges, so it feels like we’ve had two quite different meals.
The Gluten Free Version:
This is also a fun dinner for kids to help make 🙂
It went down a treat with Miss 4! By that, I mean..she tried it. Which is massive progress for her.
- 1 chicken frame
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1/4 leek, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 handful parsley stalks
- 1 large stalk of celery, roughly chopped
- 400g pork mince
- 3 T finely chopped spring onion
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cabbage
- salt and pepper to season
- 2 T soy sauce (use GF if necessary or omit if soy is a problem)
- dumpling wrappers
- 1 carrot, finely sliced into rounds
- 1/4 cup finely sliced Bok Choy
- 1/4 cup finely sliced cabbage
- 1/2 bunch finely sliced spring onions
- Place all ingredients in a pot and cover with water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 45 minutes. Strain the liquid off.
- 1. Mix all the ingredients together. Place teaspoonfuls on one half of the wrappers, wet the edges slightly and seal carefully.
- 2. Place the carrot slices into the broth and bring to the boil. Add seasoning if necessary. Turn the heat down to medium, add the dumplings and poach until just cooked through.
- 3. Place the garnish vegetables in the bottom of serving bowls, add the dumplings and carrot slices then pour the broth over the top.
- Instead of placing the pork mix in the wrappers, roll into balls and poach in the hot chicken broth. You need to poach them gently to prevent them breaking up.
- To save time, you can use a store bought chicken stock.