Easy-as-pie 15 minute Lolly Slice
I’ve had quite a few people lately asking for an allergy-friendly version of this New Zealand birthday party staple..so here it is! It is not rocket science at all, so long as you can source (or make, obviously) some dairy/egg free malt type biscuits and some coconut condensed milk. Don’t panic if you can’t do that! Other options for the condensed milk are buying soy/rice/coconut milk powder and making your own. I have used this condensed milk recipe before using Alfa lite powder, which most of my household can tolerate, but I’ve seen soy and coconut milk powders recently that would also work just fine. For the biscuits, I used Budget Malt biscuits which are egg and dairy free..but i have made them before by using a egg and dairy free shortbread biscuit mix with a bit of malt extract added to the dough. Enjoy!
- 2 packets allergy friendly malt biscuits
- 1 cup desiccated coconut + extra for rolling
- 150 g melted dairy free margarine (I use Sunrise)
- 1 400g can coconut condensed milk
- 1 packet eskimo lollies (or fruit puffs), each cut into 5 slices
- Melt the condensed milk and margarine together. Place the biscuits in a food processor and blitz until completely crumbled up.. If you don't have a food processor, place them in a plastic bag, then put that inside another plastic bag (especially if you are letting kids do this haha, you will thank me later!), and press firmly with a rolling pin. Add the coconut and melted margarine and condensed milk and blitz until completely incorporated. It should have come together as one big mass. If it is still really crumbly, add some more melted margarine. You have 2 choices now: press into a tin and make a slice (faster), and sprinkling coconut on the top...or placing in two long pieces of baking paper and rolling tightly into 2 long logs. Place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes then roll in coconut. Slice when cool.
- This makes quite a lot, but you can easily do half the recipe.
- DIY Coconut Condensed Milk - Fun With Allergy Kids - […] or this NZ favourite: Lolly Slice […]