DIY Coconut Condensed Milk
So, it’s no secret I love coconut condensed milk…it’s pretty much the most exciting thing I’ve discovered this century haha, but I have had HEAPS of people asking me how to make it as they have found it hard to source: so this is for all of you…my DIY Coconut Condensed Milk! I’m obviously not the first person that has done this, but I’d rather recommend a recipe I’ve tried and tested myself 🙂
And once you’ve done that, you can do all sorts of naughty things like this (recipe coming soon)
or these caramel coconut bars:
or this throughly naughty, but equally amazing Caramel Slice
And if you still aren’t sick of sweet stuff, you could try this chocolate brownie:
this Caramel Muesli Slice:
or this NZ favourite: Lolly Slice
Making the condensed milk:
Start with 3 tins full fat coconut milk (from memory this was about 16% fat)
Put into a large heavy bottomed pot and bring to the boil (feel free to enlist helpers like me). You will need to whisk fairly continuously to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom and burn.
Add 1 and 1/2 cups sugar, whisk well and bring back up to the boil. Turn it down so it is just simmering..it shouldn’t be boiling rapidly. Whisk very often to prevent it sticking, and reduce to a very syrupy consistency: mine took 32 minutes.
this is what it looks like at the 5 minute mark:
and at the 10 minute mark: you may notice it is starting to thicken and change colour.
At 15 minutes, it is getting close but still needs to be thicker:
At 32 minutes, mine was ready! Then just pour it into a warm glass jar 🙂
- 3 tins coconut milk, full fat
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1. Place the coconut milk in a heavy bottomed pan and bring to the boil.
- 2. Add the sugar, whisk well then bring quickly to the boil.
- 3. Turn the heat down and simmer for approximately 32 minutes until very syrupy and a creamy colour.
- 4. Place in a warmed jar and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make sure you use coconut milk, not cream and that it has a decent amount of fat...the cans I looked at varied from 2 percent fat to 16 percent fat. i used the 16 % variety.