Dairy Free Crumbed Pork with Gluten Free and Egg Free Variation
Dairy Free Crumbed Pork (with an option for egg free and gluten free) served with rice, steamed veges, coconut yoghurt dressing and slices of fresh lime. This is a pretty easy, nutritious mid week family meal and can easily be prepared in advance.
We have a full range of allergies going on in our house at the moment with some of my children slowly growing out of some, so it’s a juggle trying to manage lots of different meals. Add food aversion in, and it makes dinner time interesting! I’ve got an 8 year old who’s great at trying new foods and desperately wants to be able to eat egg again, a 3 year old who’s allergic to nearly everything and is petrified to try anything new or even a slight variation on something she’s had before and an 18 month old who used to eat everything that came her way but now thinks it’s hilarious to throw everything off the highchair try, windscreen wiper-style. She also happens to be dairy, egg, peanut (although I can cautiously say I think she’s ok with this one after two successful trials), citrus, pineapple and kiwifruit free so that adds a few challenges. Anyway, we are trying to put a bit of egg in my eldest’s diet after mixed successes and failures over the last 2 years, but it’s very frustrating! No idea why she can take it sometimes and not at all others…and baking it doesn’t seem to make any difference at all. So, tonight she got a bit of a special treat and was allowed some crumbed pork done with egg, but Miss 18 months is allergic to egg and not flour, so she got a different version without egg..then Miss 3 of course can’t have wheat so she got a gluten free and egg free version. Exhausting stuff but I know there are heaps of us in this weird club doing the same battle.
- 1 1/2 pork fillets (or other choice of pork cuts/other meat)
- 2 eggs or equivalent egg replacer: I used NoEgg, you can also use chickpea brine that has been whisked til very frothy
- 2/3 cup flour or choice of gluten free flour: I used Cassava Flour (from www.foodcompass.co.nz)
- 2 cups breadcrumbs or gluten free equivalent: I used Bakeworks Gluten Free crumbs, but I've also used plain rice crumbs before and that works fine too
- seasoning to taste
- 1/2 cup oil for cooking (I use coconut oil)
- 1 lime or lemon, cut into wedges to serve
- 1/2 cup coconut yoghurt
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 Tablespoons coconut cream (you wont need this if the yoghurt is quite runny)
- 1. Cut the pork fillet into 1 cm thick slices, then flatten out with a rolling pin or mallet.
- 2. Place the egg or replacer in a bowl and whisk well.
- 3. Place the flour in another bowl and season well with salt and pepper.
- 4. Place the breadcrumbs in another bowl.
- 5. Crumb all the pork pieces by coating in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs. Return to the refrigerator until ready to use.
- 6. Cook the pork in batches with about 2 T oil per batch until golden brown on both sides.
- 7. Serve hot with rice, stemmed veges, coconut yoghurt dressing and lime slices.
- Mix all ingredients together.