Dairy and Egg Free Caramel Muesli Slice
This Dairy and Egg Free Caramel Muesli Slice came about from a review I was doing for Hubbards porridges and muesli’s..(I know…perks of the job!!!)…and was very last minute, but it honestly tastes AMAZING! I did add ground almonds since the muesli had almonds in anyway, but you could easily make it nut free by substituting the almonds with plain flour and using a nut free muesli.
Note: I was given muesli from Hubbards and coconut oil from VCO Natural to use as I wish…but having said that, I wouldn’t use them on my personal blog if I didn’t feel they were quality products and I am always honest in my reviews. Feel free to substitute these for products you prefer or have on hand.
- 200g dairy free margarine
- 100g sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200g plain flour
- 180g ground almonds
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tin coconut condensed milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 T golden syrup
- 1 T coconut oil (I use VCO Natural, it's awesome to cook with!)
- 200g muesli (I used Hubbards date and almond muesli)
- 100g coconut oil (I used VCO Natural as above)
- 2 Tablespoons plain flour
- 2 T sugar
- chocolate for drizzling on the top if desired
- 1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- 2. Beat the margarine, vanilla and sugar together until pale and creamy (about 4-5 mins)
- 3. Mix the dry ingredients together well then add all at once to the creamed mix. Stir until combined but do not over mix. It's fine to leave it a bit crumbly.
- 4. Press into a baking tin with a spoon (I use a square tin) lined with baking paper.
- 5. Bake until golden brown (mine took 15 minutes).
- Caramel filling: (you can prepare this in advance, I often keep containers of it in the fridge..it lasts forever)
- 1. Place all ingredients together in a pot and bring to the boil, whisking continuously. Boil rapidly for 5 minutes. (It will burn on the bottom if you stop whisking)
- 2. Pour into an ovenproof dish and bake for a further 10 minutes. Let cool then pour over the base.
- 1. Place the muesli, flour and sugar in a bowl and rub the coconut oil in with your fingertips.
- 2. Sprinkle over the caramel and return to the oven for approximately 10 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Cool then decorate with melted chocolate if desired. Alternatively sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Hubbards New Muesli and Porridge Review - Fun With Allergy Kids - […] I did also make up a particularly delicious (and not at all healthy) slice with the muesli, the recipe…