Candy Cane Marshmallow EF DF GF (check the icing sugar for gluten)
Every year my daughters and I make plates of Xmas cookies to give out to teachers, family and friends. This candy cane marshmallow is one of those spur-of-the-moment concoctions we dreamed up together one night and came about as my daughter just loves anything peppermint, candy canes and marshmallow. So we tried to put all three together!
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup water for the gelatine
- 3 teaspoons gelatine
- splash peppermint essence
- red and green food colouring
- equipment: piping bag with round nozzle and 2 fine paintbrushes
- icing sugar for dusting
- Place the gelatine and 3/4 cup water in a bowl and mix quickly. Put the other water and sugar in a large pot and bring to the boil, whisking to dissolve the sugar. Add the softened gelatine and whisk until gelatine has dissolved in the sugar mix. Boil steadily for exactly 15 minutes. Take off the heat and let cool for a few minutes. Place into a cake mixer bowl then add the whisk attachment. Whisk over low speed until beginning to cool, (about 5 minutes), then turn up to high speed. Add the peppermint essence and whisk until white and very thick (you want to catch it just before it sets, it should be thick enough to hold its shape when you pipe it). While the marshmallow is in the cake mixer, prepare a piping bag with a round nozzle of medium size. Holding the bag with one hand, dip the paintbrushes in the food colour and swipe down the inside of the bag down into the nozzle. Do this with alternate colours all the way around so you have about 8 vertical stripes. When the mix is ready, place carefully inside the bag then pipe onto trays dusted with icing sugar. Leave to cool and set.